Top 10 Best Dog Crate Reviews – Cosy Resting Places For Dogs
When a person brings a dog to his home as a pet, it becomes his family member. It receives as much love, attention, and care as any other member of the family. People try to provide their pet dogs with all the facilities and training that are necessary for them. The crate is one such necessity that can make them feel comfortable to live in. Therefore, in this article best dog crate reviews, we are going to talk a lot about dog kennels, crates, and dog pans as well, It is where the dog is going to spend most of its leisure time in peace and tranquility.
A dog is the man’s best friend. The faithfulness and loyalty of a dog are considered to be the best, and it is believed that a dog will never leave its master, come whatever may! Due to these qualities in dogs, man has been trying to tame him since times immemorial. This relationship is almost granted and will never change.
If you are interested to find a dog house for your pet, this is the perfect article for your needs. In this paper, we will make sure that you get to know almost everything related to the crate models out there and making it more easier for you to pick your choice. Stuff like dog kennel, or dog pan are essential to dog lovers but very rarely talked about which is sad. we have to make the article readable and attractive Making sure that the article gives you an in depth knowledge about the subject and makes your bargain easier.
For Quick Pick- Best Dog Crate
Let us warn you at the very beginning that the article is going to be a long one with tons of information. If you have never read long articles before, this is the time for sure. We have divided this article into different sections. Therefore, it will be easier for you scan the item, in case you do not feel like reading the whole thing.
Also, if you are already an expert or know enough about the models, then these sections will tell you what to read and what not to read. Only avoid the points that you already know about. Now that we are completely ready to get into the action let’s start with the crate reviews first, which is the most important section of the article. Then we will quickly move to the other parts which are important as well. This is a one-stop guide for those whoever is interested to either go for a crate or to know more about those. Obviously, it is not an easy task to know about a certain topic all by yourself in one sitting. However, we made that possible in this article.
What is Dog Crate
It is an enclosure made up of plastic, metal, wire or fabric in which dogs can be kept for security purposes or transportation and a cosy place for your pet. They are designed to replicate the natural den of dogs and give them a place of refuge or a known surrounding during travelling.
Having a pet in the house is like adding a new member to the house. As compared to earlier times, nowadays people are more inclined towards having a pet, and when it comes to getting one's pet, dogs are all-time favourites.
As per the report of the American Humane Association, 72.9 million households in the US own pets (birds, reptiles, cats, dogs, etc.) of this 43.5-54.1 million household have dogs as their pet.
Why are Crates Necessary for your pet dog?
As mentioned above, crates create a niche for dogs where they get the ambiance of a den which matches their ancestral traits; earlier wild dogs used to take shelter in the form of small dens, the idea of designing the crate is inspired from here.
Apart from being a perfect home for the dogs, the crates offer various advantages to the dog owners. Here are some of the benefits of crates:
- You can easily move out leaving your dog in the house because you know that your dog will be comfortably lying in the crate and nothing in the house will be soiled or destroyed.
- You can easily house train your dog by using a crate to encourage control.
- Crates offer a great solution for dog confinement, especially when you have guests in the house or when they are over-excited.
- And most importantly, you can easily carry your dog with you while you are travelling.
- Crates not only offer overwhelming comfort for the owners, but it also provides the dog comfort and privacy.
Before you read this long article check about the 11 benefits in our info-graphic below.
Top 10 Best Dog Crates Reviews
In this section of the article, we will be informing about the ten best crates for dogs reviews. The reviews will be very simple, and it will not be a tough task for you to go ahead and buy a model depending on these reviews. We tried to include as much information as possible keeping everything simple.
Also, please note that we did not make any specific orders when we created the reviews. They are equally good to be at the top position horizontally. As that is not possible, you see one after another. The main idea is that all of the ten models are better than the rest in the market and we are trying to tell you exactly that.
#01-Petco Premium - 2 Door Dog Crate
The first in the list is the Petco Premium - 2 door Dog crate which is made o electroplated wire, so they are heavy and sturdy. What is good about this brand is that you can get them in six sizes : x-Small, small, medium , Large, X-large, XX-large.
Which means you can easily fit your puppies according to their sizes. Both small puppies and big ones like German Shepard or Terriers. Each is fitted with two doors .You will find it easy to clean. Also has a slide out plastic pan. Another good feature is that it folds up nicely.The is of course Black.
#02-Basics Folding Metal Dog Crate
So if you were unsure about the previous one just because it is a new company and the model is new in the market. But you would love this one as this is an established manufacturer. This model is extremely popular among dog parents and in every three to four houses who use a crate, you will see one of these.
The reason is super simple behind its popularity. The product is foldable; there are different sizes and door options for every type of people and dog, and on top of these features, the crate is super budget friendly too.
Basic Folding Metal Dog Crates Video Review
#03-OxGord Double-Door Easy Folding Metal Pet Crate
The rated OxGord product is that they have their crate made in a way so that it can support not only dogs but also cats, rabbits, and other animals. That is not our point, however. The six size options will be good enough for most dogs. The folding is super simple to install which is another significant point to consider.
- Our cages are available in different sizes and can accommodate various breeds of dogs. Please see the cage size recommendation below. The sizing recommendation gives a very general idea of what cage size is suitable for the breeds of dogs. Always size the cage for the size of “your” dog. The size of the cage should accommodate the dog when he’s stretched out on his side without being cramped up or when he’s sitting up without hitting his head on the top.
This large double door crate is a heavy duty one. One purchase will go for a lifetime which is guaranteed. It is easy to clean and manage too. All in all, a good one for sure!
#04-Petnation Port A Crate E2 Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home
Petnation is a super popular kennel and offers the best price among the peers. This is something that you can buy and rest assured. There are six different models that you can choose, and all of them vary depending on the size. The price also varies accordingly so you can think about that too.
You can carry up to 70 pounds in this one. The measurements are great, and the fabric is great enough too.
#05-Midwest iCrate Pet Crate
Midwest brand is another extremely popular and offers affordable prices that you can go for. Obviously, as you can see from the picture, this is a wire-based crate, but this is best folding dog crate which makes it easier for you to travel. Midwest iCrate double door offers different size options, starting from 18 inches up to 48 inches which is the highest in this industry at this moment.
There are different color options too which is clear to find. All in all, this is a great model to go for any time, no matter what type of dog you have.
Midwest iCrate Video Review
#06-Carlson Secure and Compact Single Door Metal Dog Crate
This is a simple and a small one that you will buy only if you want to get a taste of crates and if you want to feel whether your dog will like it or not. Obviously, there is no point in buying a bigger one and later on finding out that the dog is not liking the crate, right?
Therefore, go for this easy folding crate. The wash pan is removable, and the crate is very easy to manage. You can carry a puppy of up to 42 lbs in this one.
#07-2 Door Pet Wire Cage
The company named this crate as a cage but to be honest; it is up to you on how you want to use it. If you keep the doors open, it will be a crate and not a cage anymore.
- iCrate the "ALL INCLUSIVE DOG CRATE" | Includes FREE divider panel, durable dog tray, carrying handle, 4 "roller" feet to protect floors & MIDWEST QUALITY GUARANTEE 1 YEAR WARRANTY
Anyway, there are five different options for you to choose from and they all are great. There are two doors in each cage which will give you that extra freedom.
#08-Midwest Life Stages Folding Metal Dog Crate
The next one on our list is the MidWest Life Stages Folding Metal Crate Dog. Again, this is another Midwest product, but the features are a lot different than the previous one, and therefore, we had to talk about this heavy-duty metal crate model too.
- I Crate the "ALL INCLUSIVE DOG CRATE" Includes FREE divider panel, durable dog tray, carrying handle, 4 "roller" feet to protect floors & Midwest quality guarantee 1 year warranty
The price is right, and there are six different size options to go for. Dog of up to 70 lbs can easily get accommodated inside which is great. The crate is durable, and the lengths are good enough to keep your dog comfortable inside. All in all, definitely a good one to go for.
Midewest Life Stages Folding Metal Dog Crates Video Review
#09-Precision Pet Two Door Great Crate
Though it is not the most popular one out there, you will still like it. Especially if you have a super small size dog, this is a great option to go for. The color of this crate is black, and it is also a popular one.
The lock is very safe; the measurements are good enough, and the dog weight limit is 10 pounds. Make sure that you measure your dog properly before buying this crate as it is very easy to miss a point. The crate comes with a guide, a divider panel and a lot of other accessories to help you.
#10-New World Dog Crate
New world folding metal kennel is the last product that we have on our list. Size options starts from 30 inches up to 48 inches, and you can pick any of these options. There are also single and double door options for you. If your dog is up to 40 pounds, then this is a good fit.
- Single door folding metal dog crate, New World dog crate measures 42L x 30W x 28H inches & is suitable for large dog breeds between 71 - 90 pounds
It is also easy to clean, and the tray is removable. All in all, this is a simple yet good one for a small scale house for a dog.
What is the Best Pet Crates for Dogs?
This is a buying guide, but we are not going to talk about those traditional options such as you need to make sure that you are thinking about the price and so on. These are distinct things, and there is no point in talking about each one of those. What we are going to do is that we are going to set up different relevant topics and will discuss those which actually will help you to manage and make the crate even better.
Can a best be even better? We will find that in this single section.
Types of Dog Crate
The first thing that you should think about when you are going to buy a shelter for the furry friend is the kind of the crate that you are planning to buy. It is very crucial that you plan your crate type perfectly. Otherwise, the whole plan of catering to your dog's need might go wrong if you choose the wrong type of crate. Therefore, in this article, we will talk about the types that you can go for right now.
There are many types of built-in dog houses, but the basic types are very simple. There are four kinds which you can choose from. They are known as the soft crates, the smart ones, the wire crates and finally, the plastic crates. Now we will talk about each of these crate models in our review.
Wire Dog Crate
The wire based cages are probably the most common type of crates that you will see around. It is this kind that you immediately start imagining when you think about dog shelter. The crates are made of hard wire, and in general, there are two different doors (or one) in these crates. There are different pros and cons of using a dog house made of wire, and we will be talking about those too.
- The first advantage is that it is super easy to clean and to maintain. If you are one of those lazy people who do not want to clean the dog mess, then this is the perfect solution for you.
- Obviously, you will have to clean the trays and the body once in a while, but you do not need to do that regularly like some other types which are a big advantage to have.
- The second benefit is continuous air flow. As the wire is open and there are more than enough vacant spaces inside, air will continue to flow which will give comfort to your dog. Especially if you are living in some place where the climate is hot, then this works even better.
- The third benefit is the visibility issues. You will be able to see your dog, and your dog will also be able to see you too.
- There is no point in keeping your dog in a place where there are black walls everywhere. Your dog will hate it, and you should not do that too. A crate is not a dog cage, and you have to understand that.
Another great part about going for this product is that it is made of wire and easy to manage, they fold easily. You cannot fold a hard rock dog cage, but you can easily do that with a wire-based one. Apart from that, the slide-out trays are easy to clean when it comes to maintenance.
- These dog kennels are not considered as one of the most comfortable ones for your dog, so if you find comfort, these should not be your first choice.
- The next reason is simply one of the opposites of the benefits. Remember we told you that wire crates are best as they will help air flow? That can be a disadvantage too if you are living in a cold place with lots of winds. So, keep that in mind.
- Contrary to popular believe the wire-based cages are very heavy in most cases. You should think about that too when you are going to buy a wire-based model.
Plastic Dog Crate
Now, the second type of crate that we will talk about is a plastic material. Again, there are both advantages and disadvantages of having such a crate. This section is dedicated to that only.
- The first benefit is of its ability to be used whenever you are traveling for long distances using international flights.
- The second benefit according to us is the fact that plastic crates are easy to carry and they are light.
- Plastic crates are made for everyone, and they are specially made to be carried around. Therefore unlike the other types of crates, these crates are soft, and some of them even have points where you can take these. That makes the whole thing a lot easier.
- Wire crates always get those dust and rusts as the days go by. Come on! Those are similar to the iron, and this is bound to happen. On the other hand, if you take care of your plastic cages properly, then it will remain as the pet crates for dogs, a model for an extended period. These are durable, and these are easy to manage too.
- The first one is that these are closed cages. Where in a regular wire crate, you will always be able to see your dog and most importantly, your dog will always be able to see you or the world as that is open.
- The plastic crates are not. At max, you will get an open end at one side of the plastic crate which is not enough. Therefore, it can hardly be used for an all time purpose. It can only be used for minimum times and in particular situations.
- You will hardly be able to fold any crate made of plastic, which we think is another significant disadvantage. Then again, everyone has their preference, and you may not need to fold at all .
Soft Dog Crate
The third type that we are going to talk about is the soft ones. Now, the name might sound appealing, right? After all, you are going to get a dog crate for your dog, and if it is soft, your dog will be more comfortable, right?
Well, it does not work like that. We will talk about that a bit later. Let’s just start with the good things at the beginning.
- The first advantage that you receive from a soft crate is the lightweight. These are incredibly easy to carry around, and you do not have to worry about whether it folds or not. You can take it in your suitcase too if you feel like.
- Yes, it is that easy to carry.
- They are comfortable for your dog as the inside part is soft. We have seen campers love using these crates as these are easy to carry, cheap and have super light weight.
Now let’s talk about the disadvantages that you might face if you are going for a soft crate. The first disadvantage is the durability. These are not durable, and you will not use one model for an extended period.
- As these are made of hard clothing, your dog can tear it from inside if it is desperate enough.
- Also, these are not great options for big dogs.
- As your dog will not be able to see almost any light, it can become scary inside no matter how short the duration is.
Stylish Dog Crate
We cannot talk about their pros and cons in this section of the article because there a lots of them. Therefore, we will not try that.
How to Find the Right Dog Crate
Now, the next topic that we are going to talk about is how you are going to find the perfect sized crate for your dog. There are many things that you should consider while trying to find the best crates for dog , but we will keep it to the minimum.
The primary method to calculate the crate size is to measure and compare the weight with the size of the crate. Let’s dig deep....
Video Review How To Choose The Right Crate Size
If the crate size is around 18 times 18 or 18 times 24, you can quickly go for it with a dog who has a weight of around 30 lbs or less. For example, a Chihuahua would be the perfect pick in this case.
Now, if the measurement is 24 times 24 of the crate, you can go for a dog there which is around 38 lbs or lower. For example, Terriers, Poodles and so on.
Again, if you are going for 24 size to 36 size, then you can accommodate dogs up to 40 lbs in int. Dogs such as Spaniel, Aussy Terriers, and Corgi are the ones will fit in that.
The list goes on and on. The biggest models that you can find is the size of 72 times 36. Here you can carry dogs up to 180 lbs which are massive. Dogs like a Husky, Akita and similar ones will fit well.
Here is the idea of the whole thing. You will first measure your dog (we will talk about how to measure your dog a bit later), and then you will take the weight count of your dog. Then only go ahead and search the market using these two metrics. It will be more than enough to find that perfect one.
How To Measure Your Dog
To measure your dog, make sure that your dog is standing in a perfect position. We all know how dogs stand. Now take a measuring tape and put the first part to the nose of your dog, now only pull the measurement tape until the end of the tail area. This will give you the size of your dog regarding length.
Now to take the height , take the same measurements. This time, you will start from the top of the head, and you will go up to the surface with the other end of the measurement tape. That will tell you the minimum height.
Make sure that you always add at least one-third of the measurement additionally to both sides to make sure that your dog is having a good time inside. It should not be so tiny inside that your dog becomes unable to move.
Five Common Mistakes during Buying Dog Crate for the First Time
Buying a crate is a wise decision, but buying a wrong crate can turn your training program into a mess. You should keep in mind a few guidelines to buy the best dog crate and make your life simpler and manageable. Five common mistakes made by the people are:
Buying an Unnecessarily Big Case
This is the biggest mistake made by the dog owners. According to a survey, most of them, being over enthusiastic, end up buying a crate which is way too big for their requirement. You should make sure that the crate is just enough in size for your dog to stand up, lie down or turn around. New dog owners must understand the fact that if the crate is too big for their puppy, it will use half of the area as the sleeping place and the rest of the area as the bathroom. This is certainly quite undesirable for you.
Buying a Small Dog Crate
This again is not a good idea as the puppies grow so fast and soon your crate will become small for your dog. At this moment, you would need to buy a bigger one to fit him in, which will cost you unnecessary expenditure.
Buying the Wrong Type of Crate
Mainly, there are five basic kinds of crates to choose from. They are crates made of plastic, wire, metal, wooden, stylish, and those having soft- sides. Each type of crate has its advantages and disadvantages that we have discussed above to help you in choosing the best one for your puppy.
Buying a Pre-Owned Dog Crate and Not Disinfecting It Properly
Many people believe that crates are important only in the initial stages. So, they don’t want to invest much in them. They end up buying a pre-owned crate but forget to clean it properly with the help of disinfectants. It may lead to a serious health hazard for their beloved dog. So, remember to clean and disinfect the pre-owned crate for the health of your dog.
Buying a Crate Based On Its Looks Only
Many first-time crate buyers get overexcited and buy the best looking crates and ignore other important factors related to it. Always ponder over the type of usage and the requirement based on the breed of your dog before buying a cage for him. Normally, heavy duty dog crates and wired crates are useful, particularly if your dog is a destructive one.
Extra Crate Accessories That You Can Go For
There are certain accessories that you can go ahead and pick for your dog if you feel like. Obviously, none of these are your main requirements when it comes to the best crate for dogs guide, but these will add excellent value to your table.
Again we are telling you that these are not your must need items. These are some additional ones that you can go for if you feel like. If you do not want to go for these accessories, that is fine too. At the end of the day, you know the most about your dog, and you know what will make him or her happy.
The first item that we would love to talk about is the bedding. Apparently, dogs are used to tight and hard spots to live in but why would you do that? Make the surface of the crate even more comfortable for your dog with nice bedding. These are easy to get and cheap enough to go for.
When you are buying bedding for your dog, you should always make sure that the bedding is washable and it matches the size of the crate. You can always buy a bigger one and resize if you want.
Dog Crate Covers
Like a car, you should always protect your crate to make sure that it serves you for an extended period. Protecting your crate is easier, and if you buy a cover, then it becomes even easier. Like the bedding, the cover should be washable, and the size should be proper.
You can use the cover when your dog is inside too! Some dogs love that when they are left to themselves.
The third item that we will talk about is the toys. You have to make sure that your dog loves the toys so that it feels interested to the crate. However, you should also offer them the toys because they deserve it . After all, your dog has just agreed to be in a crate for you, isn’t it?
There are lots of kinds of dog toys around, and it is not a good idea to start reviewing dog toys. Make sure that you are not providing something super big which will be a tight fit for the crate. Also, do not provide something heavy or risky that will cause risk inside the crate as you will not always be watching your dog when it is inside.
Try to be simple and pick a toy that your dog has already loved before. It will be a safe attempt as this always helps to generate your dog’s interest to the crate.
No matter what you do, always keep in mind that your dog should not face trouble while you are buying or using a dog crate. It should never be used for punishment. Try to make your dog understand that this is something that you prepared for him for his home. If you can manage to do that, you will always be able to stay his friend, and he will also be happy. We hope that our resourceful reviews will serve the purpose of the owner and their pet, this is enough to make our en-devour fruitful. The choice off course will depend on the size and breed
We have to remember that puppies are den animal, and they love to use rooms for security, shelter or while feeding themselves. If you want to tame your pup into a caged life, you should start early when the pet is young. It is the right time to crate train your puppy. The younger the pet, the higher the chances of it adapting to the ‘den.'If you are really serious and inclined to crate train a puppy then you may go through the article which will give you ample tips and make your effort much more easier. You cannot be too emotional , think practically and make the best pick .
Please do note that this page contains affiliate links, and Hellowdog gets little commissions on every purchase made through any of such links. This has no additional effect on the final price you would be required to pay, and we are highly grateful for your support.